AVETMISS standard delivery types simply aren’t detailed enough!
How can something so specific be so vague and broad. I suspect it is simply a case of the sector moving to fast for the standard. The screen shot below shows the standard AVETMISS Delivery Types delivery method options and they leave us scratching our heads.
As we move toward a more integrated delivery platform the standard really do need to keep pace. Here is what we believe should be on the list of delivery method types [at least].
- Classroom: The traditional method
- Classroom + eLearning: Where eLearning [shared interactive platform] used for prerequisite or blended learning
- Classroom + Distance: Where physical media [books, DVDs etc] are used for prerequisite or blended learning
- eLearning: Learning from shared interactive platform
- Distance: Learning from physical media, books and DVDs etc.
- Workplace: Learning in the work place – on the job training
- Workplace + eLearning: Where eLearning [shared interactive platform] used for prerequisite or blended learning in the Workplace
- Workplace + Distance: Where physical media [books, DVDs etc] are used for prerequisite or blended learning in the Workplace
As I write this I am still not convinced of the approach and that is perhaps why the powers that be have come down with a specific set of options.
- And what do we call it when an iPad is used for the assessment mechanism? Is that eLearning or eAssessment?
- What percentage of the course delivery triggers a change in delivery type?
- These issues may seem a little pedantic but isn’t AVETMISS supposed to be pedantic?
Let’s deal with it
The JWGecko product set provides a solution to the issues raised above in what we believe is an innovative way. The main point is to NOT confused the standard delivery types by suggesting that RTOs use them as they always have an in VETtrak manage them on the programme level.
Different combination of delivery methods need to be managed differently in the student managements systems and in VETtrak we recommend, and OzSoft agrees, the use of a different programme for each delivery method combination. Online we aggregate the delivery methods on to a calendar as below. Clicking on Distance or eLearning goes straight to an enrolment form, mouse over the different colour courses to see which Occurrence has a blended element.